NORTH AFRICAN CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE STEW
- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups sliced carrots (1/2 inch) (4 medium)
- 1 3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 8), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 (5-oz.) pkg. baby spinach (5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Harissa or Tabasco to taste*
Adapted from COOKING CLUB.COM
1. Combine onion, garlic, oil, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 3 to 4 minutes or until onion and garlic are softened, stirring once.
2. Place carrots in bottom of 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; layer onion mixture, chicken and beans over carrots. Pour in broth and tomatoes.
3. Cook, covered, on high 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and vegetables are tender. (For a thicker consistency, remove 1 cup garbanzo beans and coarsely mash with potato masher or fork; return to slow cooker.) Add raisins; cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted; add lemon juice and harissa. Serve with additional harissa.
8 (1 1/4-cup) servings
PER SERVING: 285 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 26.5 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 65 mg cholesterol, 375 mg sodium, 5.5 g fiber
TIP *Harissa is a North African hot sauce made from chiles, garlic and spices. It can be found in specialty food stores or Middle Eastern markets.