Crab Meat Au Gratin
- 1/4 cup half softened unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 1/4 cups creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pound cooked crab meat
- 1/2 cup shredded Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the green onions and cook 1 minute. Add the garlic, mushrooms and cilantro. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in the pepper and creme fraiche.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter with the flour in a small bowl until smooth. Stir it into the creme fraiche mixture and simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir the crab meat into the saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the crab is heated through, about 8 minutes.
Heat the broiler. Transfer the crab mixture to a 1-quart casserole or 6 ramekins. Sprinkle the top with the Jack and Parmesan cheeses. Place 4 inches beneath the broiler to lightly brown, 2 to 3 minutes; watch them carefully. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Each serving: 297 calories; 835 mg sodium; 88 mg cholesterol; 23 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 19 grams protein; 0.41 gram fiber.