- CLASSIC TAPENADE:
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 6 small tomatoes cut in half
- Salt to taste
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound pitted imported black olives - (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers rinsed, drained
- 4 anchovy filets - (to 6)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tspn dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or more
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cognac (optional)
- Chopped fresh herbs or sprigs for garnish
Note: You can choose other vegetables if you wish for this dish.
Make the Classic Tapenade: If the anchovies are salt-packed, soak them for about 5 minutes in water and drain.
Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. When it is chopped, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides. Add the olives, capers, anchovies, thyme, rosemary and mustard. Blend together until fairly smooth.
Add the lemon juice, olive oil, a generous grinding of pepper and the Cognac and continue to blend until you have a smooth paste.
Scrape the tapenade into a serving bowl and garnish with the herbs. Refrigerate 2 hours until ready to serve.
Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks and transfer the whites to a plate.
In a food processor or mortar and pestle, blend some or all of the hard-boiled yolks (3 to 6) thoroughly with the tapenade. Fill the whites with this mixture. If you wish, cut the halved eggs into wedges. Arrange on a platter.
Scoop the seeds out of the tomatoes; turn them upside down on a rack to drain, about 15 minutes.
Halve the zucchini lengthwise and then cut in 2-inch lengths. Cut the peppers into wide strips or 1-inch pieces.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a teaspoon of salt and the zucchini. Blanch 1 minute, drain and refresh with cold water. Scoop out the seeds.
Fill the tomato halves, zucchini shells and peppers with the tapenade mixture. Arrange on the platter with the eggs. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Each of 8 servings: 121 calories; 645 mg sodium; 150 mg cholesterol; 10 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 7 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams protein; 2.16 grams fiber.