Baked Apple Pancake
Oven baked apple pancake in a 10" skillet
- 3 Large Granny Smith or McIntosh Apples
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 5 TBSP confectioners sugar, divided
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP butter or margarine
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Confectioners sugar (optional)
1. Place rack in center of oven. Heat oven to 425. Peel and core apples, then cut each into 8 wedges.
2. In medium bowl, with a wire whisk or hand mixer, beat milk, egg, oil and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour, 3 TBSP confectioners sugar, baking powder and salt just until blended. Set aside to cook apples.
3. In 10" ovenproof non-stick skillet (if skillet handle is not ovenproof, wrap in aluminum foil) melt butter over medium heat and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add apples and sprinkle with remaining 2 TBSP confectioners sugar and the cinnamon. Cook, turning often, 5-7 minutes, until apple slices are browned but still hold their shape. Spread slices in an even layer in skillet; stir batter, then pour over hot apples.
4. Place skillet in oven and bake 13-15 minutes, until batter is cooked and puffs up around edge of pan. Using a pancake turner, immediately loosen edges from sides and a bit of the pancake from the bottom of the pan. Place a serving platter over skillet and invert skillet and platter together to flip pancake out onto serving platter so that apples are on top. To serve, cut into wedges. If desired, dust with confectioners sugar or serve with maple syrup.