- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
• In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over
medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the
tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, garlic powder, sugar and
pepper; set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine the spaghetti, butter, egg whites and
Parmesan cheese. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in.
deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Top with cottage
cheese and beef mixture.
• Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella
cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and
filling is heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 6 servings.