Egyptian Eggplant With Coriander
- 2 eggplants - (2 to 3 lbs total)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 large garlic cloves - (to 8) finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped cilantro
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
For the favorite Mideast taste, grill the eggplants; otherwise, broil or roast them, then peel them. Chop the eggplant pulp fine with a knife.
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the garlic and cook over low heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the ground coriander and cumin and let the spices toast for a few seconds over low heat. Immediately add the eggplant and mix well. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes to thicken and blend flavors.
Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped cilantro. Serve hot or cold, garnished with cilantro sprigs.
This recipe yields 4 side-dish servings.
Each serving: 193 calories; 83 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams protein; 5.91 grams fiber.