Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed into the sauce in the slow cooker
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or maple sugar or mild honey)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (or 1 teaspoon kosher salt)
Adapted from inthekitchenwithkath.com
1. Heat the oil over low heat in a skillet. Add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened but has not yet started to brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
2. Put the onion with the oil into the slow cooker. Add all of the other ingredients except the tamari sauce.
3. Stir all of the ingredients together; cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Stir, remove the bay leaves and taste for seasoning. Add the tamari sauce (or Kosher salt) if desired.