Ziti with Sausage-Baked
This is a baked ziti recipe with sausage and green bell pepper and cheddar and parmesan cheeses.
- 3 cups ziti or other tube pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Adapted from southernfood.about.com
Cook ziti according to directions; drain.
In a saucepan, brown sausage. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Melt butter in skillet and sauté mushroom, green pepper and onion until just tender.
Blend flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well blended and bubbly.
Gradually add milk and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.
Continue to cook and stir for 1 minute.
Blend in 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepper, stirring until cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth.
Stir hot, cooked ziti and sausage into vegetable cheese sauce.
Pour into greased 2 or 3 quart casserole.
Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.