Norm's Clam Chowder
- 1 onion cut 1/2" dice
- 2 stalks celery cut 1/2" dice
- 1 cup butter - (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 baking potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" dice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 pound clam meat strained, chopped, and juice reserved - see * Note
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound white fish filet cut 1/2" dice
- 1 cup whipping cream
* Note: You'll need 4 to 5 pounds of clams to get 1 pound of clam meat, or you can substitute 3 (6-ounce) cans minced clams.
Cook the onion and celery in the butter over medium heat until tender. Add the flour and stir to mix well, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the potatoes, milk, reserved clam juice, half the parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 minutes.
Add the chopped clams and fish and cook until the fish is tender, 10 minutes. Add the whipping cream. Bring the chowder to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning. Add the remaining parsley and stir well.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Each of 8 servings: 562 calories; 445 mg sodium; 171 mg cholesterol; 41 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 24 grams carbohydrates; 26 grams protein; 1.55 grams fiber.