Marinated Mushrooms With Orange Zest, Red Pepper And Basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound mushrooms stems removed, and cut into thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 orange zest strips
- 1 tablespoon thinly-sliced fresh basil
- Red leaf lettuce leaves for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. When it's hot, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are heated through but not losing their texture, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle them with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Cook 1 minute more. Transfer them to a bowl.
Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over low heat. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened but still have some crunch, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining salt, the wine, vinegar, zest and mushrooms. Simmer 1 minute.
Transfer to a bowl. Cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally, then chill at least overnight, up to 3 days.
To serve, stir in the basil, taste and adjust seasoning. Remove the orange strips. Arrange lettuce on a serving plates. Use a slotted spoon to put the mushrooms on the lettuce. (This can be set up 2 hours ahead and kept chilled. Serve chilled.)
This recipe yields 3 to 4 servings.
Each of 4 servings: 151 calories; 302 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; 2.47 grams fiber.