Oola-la French Toast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or a pinch of ground cloves
- 3 bread slices
- 3 teaspoons butter
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 250○F.
2. Break the egg into a bowl. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon or cloves. Beat with a whisk until blended. Pour into a shallow dish such as a pie pan.
3. Put bread slices into the egg mixture. Let sit for a few moments. With your fingers, turn the bread over and again let sit for a few moments. Both sides should look soaked with the egg mixture.
4. Put 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet. Put the skillet on the stove and switch on the heat to medium-high.
5. When the butter melts, pick up one piece of soaked bread and put it into the pan. Be careful not to burn your fingers. Fry until golden brown on the underside, about 3 minutes. To check, lift a corner with a spatula, and take a peek. If ready, use the spatula to turn it over. Now fray until golden brown on the second side, about 2 minutes longer.
6. With the spatula, move the toast to a baking sheet. Using pot holders, put the sheet in the oven.
7. Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 to cook the remaining French toast.
8. Remove the sheet from the oven. (Don’t forget to use the pot holders!) If desired, sprinkle the French toast with confectioners’ sugar. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.