- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7-8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 beaten egg for wash
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the maple syrup, eggs (reserving 2 tablespoons), butter, and salt and mix well.
2. Gradually add the flour.
3. Knead the dough on a floured board until elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Divide the dough into six parts. Roll three parts into long strips and braid together, sealing the ends to make one loaf. Repeat with the remaining three parts.
5. Cover the loaves with cloth and allow to rise until doubled.
6. Preheat oven to 350○F.
7. Brush with beaten egg wash and sprinkle with seeds and salt.
8. Bake on a greased sheet for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown. With oven mitts, carefully lift one loaf and tap the bottom with your knuckle. It will make a hollow thudding sound if it’s done.