white chocolate cherry shortbread cookies
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- red and green sugar sprinkles
1. preheat oven to 325 degrees. spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
2.In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces of the chopped chocolate. stir in almond extract and food coloring. knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
3. shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. place balls 2 inches part on an ungreased cookie sheet. using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2 inch rounds.
4. bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until centers are set. cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack. let cool.
5. melt remaining white chocolate and shortening in a small bowl. dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. roll in sugar sprinkles. place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set.