Carrot Soup with Dungeness Crab
Serve this lively soup, a fine showcase for Dungeness crab, to brighten up a winter day!
- 2 1/2 T butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 lb. sliced carrots
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
- 2 T uncooked white rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 6 ounces shelled cooked Dungeness crab (from a 1 1/2 lb crab)
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnishing
Cooking time 50mins
1. In a 5-quart pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are light folder, about 6 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 mints. Remove bay leaf.
2. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender in the pot. Return soup to pot (if using a blender), stir in lemon zest, and keep warm. In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chive. Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls, then ladle soup around crab. Garnish with chopped chives.