Rachel Ray 30 Minute Shepherd Pie
Rachel Ray's 30-minute Shepherd's Pie is a hearty and delicious meal made with real ingredients you can have hot on the table for your family tonight!
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas and corn.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned.
Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
You'll also love
- Parmesan Pesto Tilapia 4.2/5 (53 Votes)
- MERRY BERRY CHEESE BARS 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Slop 4.1/5 (78 Votes)
- Egg, Biscuit & Sausage Gravy... 4.2/5 (48 Votes)
- One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Caribbean Spiced Lamb Stew 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Rosemary Lamb Kofte With Creamed... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)