Blue Corn and Blueberry Pancakes with Orange Maple Syrup and Pecans
- WHISK TOGETHER:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse ground blue or yellow cornmeal
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- COMBINE; WHISK IN:
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks (reserve whites)
- BEAT AND FOLD IN; ADD:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (i frozen, do not thaw)
- SERVE WITH:
- Orange Maple Syrup
- Chopped Toasted Pecans
- ORANGE MAPLE SYRUP:
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
- 3 strips orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Warm all ingredients in a saucepan until heated through
Preheat griddle or nonstick skillet to medium and oven to 200 degrees.
1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Combine buttermilk, butter, and egg yolks in a measuring cup. Whisk wet ingredients into dry until thoroughly moistened.
3. Beat whites in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into batter until combined.
4. Lightly brush preheated griddle with vegetable oil. For each pancake, pour a scant 1/2 cup batter onto the griddle and sprinkle with some blueberries. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip pancakes and cook about 2 minutes longer. Transfer pancakes to a plate and keep warm in oven; repeat with remaining batter and blueberries.