Paula Deen's Rich Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 c. sugar
- 2-1/2 c. whole milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 T. butter
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 (9-in)prepared pie crusts, baked
- Paula Deen's Mile-High Meringue (see recipe)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (if desired)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 325. In a large heavy saucepan, combine flour, cocoa, and sugar. Stir in milk and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour mixture into prepared piecrust.
Using the back of a spoon, spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pie crust. Bake for 23 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Sift cocoa over the top of the pie if desired. Store in refrigerator.