Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Quiche
- 3 3
- medium firm pears
- 3 medium firm pears
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups plain fat-free greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 150mins
1. Defrost Deep-Dish Pastry Shell and bake according to package instructions; set aside on baking sheet. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Core and cut 2 of the pears into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Thinly slice the remaining pear and reserve.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cubed pears and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to the pre-baked pastry shell and top with blue cheese; set aside. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet and add the pear slices. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until just softened; set aside.
4. For the custard, in a blender combine the eggs, yogurt, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Blend until frothy.
5. Place the pastry shell on a baking sheet. Gently pour in the custard. Arrange the reserved pear slices in a spoke pattern on top of the quiche. Bake 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the custard is just set (165 degrees F) but still jiggles slightly in the center. Let stand 30 to 40 minutes. Top with additional blue cheese and, if desired, sage leaves. Cut into wedges.