Meatball Sub Casserole
Everything you love about a meatball sub and more in a casserole: Italian bread, cream cheese, mozzarella, meatballs, tomato sauce, and Italian spices.
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (1 pound) package frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 (28 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
Adapted from gooseberrypatch.typepad.com
Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan; set aside.
In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings; spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; set aside. Gently mix together meatballs, spaghetti sauce and water; spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.