Spicy Stuffed Peppers
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded and chopped (leave the seeds intact if you like things spicy)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/3 tsp Ancho chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- few grinds black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and white veins removed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and jalapeño and cook for 1-2 minutes, until very fragrant. Add beef, spices, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Arrange bell pepper halves, open-side up on a baking sheet. Divide the beef mixture between them (you shouldn’t have any leftovers), and top each beef-filled pepper with 1/4 of the cheese.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly and peppers have softened a bit.
Serve hot or at room temperature