Krista's Beef and Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole Small Or Medium Onion, chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 3 whole Carrots, chopped
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart home canned beef OR 3-4 cups tender, cooked roast beef, cut up or shredded
- 1/2-1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 48 oz. beef broth
- 2 Leeks, julienned
- 1 cup Quick Barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Adapted from cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com
1. Heat a 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat until it shimmers.
2. Saute onion, carrots, and celery until near tender. Add in shallot and garlic and cook for another minute or two until fragrant.
3. Add in beef, stir and heat through.
4. Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the julienned leek bottoms. Simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in 1 cup of barley. Cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes until the barley is tender.
7. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley before serving.