Cheddar Potato Chowder
I omit the bouillon cubes and in place of the water use chicken stock.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium-size ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium-size Idaho Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 chicken-flavor bouillon cubes or envelopes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional) Chopped chives (optional)
In 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally Stir in flour, dry mustard, paprika and pepper; cook 1 minute.
Gradually add milk, water, potatoes and bouillon. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove saucepan from heat; add cheese and stir just until melted. Top each serving with crumbled bacon and chopped chives, if desired.