Apple Baked Ham Recipe
This recipe will make your Ham tender, juicy and full of flavor. Baking your Ham with Apples and Cloves adds to the smokiness of the Ham flavor.
- ◾8 Pound Fully Cooked Bone In Half Ham
- ◾25-30 Whole Cloves
- ◾1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- ◾2 Tablespoons Honey Dijon Mustard
- ◾2 Apples, cored and sliced thin
- ◾2 Cups Apple Cider
Adapted from hotdishhomemaker.com
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Score the skin on the Ham in a diamond shape pattern. Insert the Whole Cloves into the skin.
3. Place the Apple Slices in a single layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish or roasting pan. Then set the Ham cut side down on top of the Apple Slices.
4. Whisk together the Syrup and the Mustard in a small bowl.
5. Brush the Syrup mixture over the entire skin on the Ham
6. Next we are going to add the Apple Cider to the bottom of the pan. A little tip, set the pan on the rack in the oven, then pour the Apple Cider in the bottom of the pan. It helps to prevent spilling the Apple Cider. That would be a mess to clean up in the oven!
7. Place a tent of foil loosely over the top of the Ham. This helps to retain the moisture in the pan which in turn keeps the Ham moist.
8. Bake the Ham for 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours. Look for an internal temperature of about 140 degrees. All ovens cook differently so have a meat thermometer handy and start checking the temperature at about 40 minutes to ensure you are on track with your cooking time. Remember this style of Ham is cooked, so in essence we are just warming it up and giving it a flavor boost. You don’t want to serve a dry overcooked Ham.