This classic Italian soup usually contains beef or chicken stock; here the stock has been replaced by water--offers a lower calorie soup than the traditional minestrone soup.
- 1 T. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick, adn washed well
- 1 medium carrot, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 small head cabbage, halved lengthwise and shredded
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary or 1 t. dried
- 1 can(14.5 oz.)diced tomatoes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can(19 oz.)kidney beans, drained rinsed
- 4 oz. small elbow macraroni
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
In a large pot (6 to 8 qts.), heat 1 T. oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Stir in zucchini, cabbage, and rosemary; cook stirring, until vegetables are coated, 1-2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and enough water (about 6 cups) to cover vegetables by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and soupd is thickened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in beans and pasta, cook until pasta is al dente, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls. Garnish with Parmesan, and drizzle with oil, as desired.
You'll also love
- Pasta with mushroom, white wine... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Ginger Pumpkin Bread 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Pork & Pinto Bean Nachos 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Rigatoni 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Potato Soup 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken Pasta Soup 4.3/5 (20 Votes)