Posole in a Crock Pot
Spicy Red chicken posole cooked all day in a crock pot or slow cooker melds these flavors perfectly to give you a soup bowl full of smoky, spicy, chicken and vegetables that will make your taste buds wake up and warm you from your head to your toes on a cold winter's day.
- 3 whole chicken legs, roasted, skin and bone removed and meat shredded
- 6 mini Sweet Peppers (We used Wilson Produce Product)
- 1 jalapeno
- Handful of tortilla chips
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. smoked chipotle chile powder(depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped,
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup salsa (homemade or store bought)
- 1 14.5 oz. can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz. can hominy, drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
Preparation time 60mins
Adapted from callhimyeschef.com
1. Roast sweet mini-peppers and jalapeno in oven until skin is blackened. Remove from oven and place in brown paper bag to steam a bit. When coolish, remove from bag, peel off skin, remove seeds from jalapeno and chop.
2. Put handful of tortilla chips in food processor along with cumin seeds, coriander, smoked chipotle, smoked paprika, chili powder and pulverize until fine.
3. Heat oil in large pot on medium high. Cook celery, carrots and onion until translucent.
4. Add garlic and cook until soft (careful not to burn).
5. Add tortilla spice mixture, tomato paste, salsa and tomatoes. Cook until it begins to boil and then turn down heat to low.
6. Layer shredded chicken on bottom of crock or slow cooker. Stir in black beans, hominy, mini peppers, jalapeno and chicken stock. Combine well.
7. Stir in vegetable/spice mixture from stove top. Mix well.
8. Put the lid on the crock pot. Turn it on low and leave it alone (do not lift lid) for 6-8 hours.