Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
Eggplant is layered with tomato sauce, ricotta, Pecorino Romano, mozzarella and parsley to make a rich, but not heavy, meal for your family.
- 1 large eggplant, about two pounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces fat-free ricotta
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I use Sargento)
- 3 cups homemade tomato sauce
- Salt, to taste
Start by making sauce if you don't have any already made.
While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put them in a colander to release excess moisture for about 1/2 hour. Lay them on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.
In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
In a 9x12 baking dish, put a little sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.
Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove foil and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Pasta Bolognese by Anne Burrell 4.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Cranberry White Chocolate Almond... 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Strawberry White Chocolate Trifle 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Roasted Corn and Lentil Salad with... 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Flat Belly - Creamy Broccoli Soup 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Meaty Eggplant Lasagna 4.4/5 (57 Votes)
- LIGHTER EGGPLANT PARMESAN 4.7/5 (13 Votes)