Creamy pesto shrimp alfredo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound (500 g) jumbo shrimp (or prawns), tails on or off
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces (120g) grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream* SEE NOTES
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or basil, chopped
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute until shrimp starts to change colour and garlic is fragrant.
Reduce heat to low-medium heat. Add pesto, half & half (or heavy cream) and half of the parmesan cheese. Mix and scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan.
Gently simmer for a further minute or two until shrimp is cooked, the sauce thickens slightly and the cheese has melted through. Sprinkle with parsley or basil and remaining parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately over pasta, rice, steamed veg, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.