BLACK BEAN TOMATILLO AND CORN SOUP
- 1 poblano chili pepper (also called pasilla peppers)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped white onion
- 3/4 cup quartered, husked tomatillos
- 1 2/3 cup corn kernels (2 medium ears of corn)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, including the liquid
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 avocados, sliced (1/2 avocado per bowl)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
Adapted from thewimpyvegetarian.com
Roast the poblano pepper under the broiler until the skin is blackened all over, turning the pepper as needed. Place in a paper bag for five minutes. Peel, chop off the top, open up and remove all the seeds. Coarsely chop and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and tomatillos and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the corn kernels and sauté another two minutes.
Add the black beans and liquid, tomato puree, tomato, chopped roasted poblano, tomato, and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes and add the lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper.
Prepare the toppings: slice the lime into wedges, slice the avocados, chop the cilantro, and stir together the sour cream and chipotle.
You'll also love
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Soup 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Peppers and Corn Medley 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup with... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin with Fresh Corn... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- CHOCOLATE COVERED SNOW PEAKS 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Black Bean Fiesta Burgers 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- TOMATILLO CHICKEN SOUP 4.6/5 (8 Votes)