- 4 to 5 cups no-salt-added chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin puree
- 6 tablespoons coarsely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the stock to a simmer, and continue simmering it while preparing the recipe.
Heat the nonstick pot until it is very hot.
Reduce heat to medium high, and add oil.
Saute onion and garlic until onion begins to soften.
Stir in rice to coat well; add wine, and cook until wine has evaporated.
Add 1 cup of the stock with the nutmeg to the rice; reduce heat so that mixture simmers.
Stir often, cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
Repeat with another cup of stock, and continue stirring, adding stock until the rice is almost tender but still has some bite to it.
Stir in the pumpkin, cheese, salt and pepper, and stir until mixture is hot.