Louisiana Shrimp and Sweet Corn Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter + 2 tbsp more
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup Swanson Louisiana Cajun Flavor Infused Broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Sautee the onion and celery in the butter in a medium saucepan for 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth gradually, again stirring constantly to prevent burning. Stir in the whipping cream and corn.
Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes continuing to stir frequently. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, combine the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of butter, and sauté the shrimp until they turn pink- about 3-5 minutes. Fold in the shrimp and green onion tops to the saucepan containing the corn mixture. Stir in the sherry, salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer just until heated through and ladle into soup bowls.