I had this marvelous cranberry sauce about 5 years ago at a friends house. Since I have Diabetes, I substituted Splenda for an equal amount of sugar...you could switch back if you like. I love this recipe and make it every year at Thanksgiving. It's best if you make it several days ahead to allow the flavors to blend. It's a step above the "norm
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, picked over & rinsed
- 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute or 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled & cut in 3 pieces ( if you don't have fresh ginger, add 1/2 tsp ground ginger with other spices)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Adapted from food.com
1.Mix together in large pot, cranberries, sugar (or Splenda), water& juice, salt, ginger pieces (not ground) and orange zest.
2.Bring to boil and cook about 10 minutes or until all berries have burst.
3.Remove from heat and allow to cool 1/2 hour.
4.Remove ginger pieces and add cinnamon, ground cloves and all spice.
5.Blend thoroughly and allow to cool completely.
6.Put in covered bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.