New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas
This New Year's good luck black-eyed peas dish serves this hearty pea on garlic-rubbed toasted bread with generous amounts of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for a scrumptious finger food that is sure to bring you blessings in the New Year and good flavor while you're eating it. This dish can also be served in bowls, smothered in cheese, with toasted bread on the side for dipping.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 very large onion, finely chopped
- 1 very large carrot, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, 4 minced, 1 whole
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas (about 2 1/4 cups), soaked overnight and drained
- 2 (1 pound) smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small baguette, sliced diagonally 3/4 inch thick
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and minced garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
Add the drained black-eyed peas, ham hocks, chicken stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low, cover partially and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Season generously with salt and pepper and let stand for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the bread slices in the oven for about 8 minutes, until golden. Brush lightly with olive oil and rub lightly with the garlic clove.
Drain the black-eyed peas; discard the ham hocks and bay leaves. Transfer the peas to a serving bowl. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve the black-eyed peas with the garlic toasts, passing grated cheese at the table.
You'll also love
- French-Style Cream Cheese Spread 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Fresh Corn Tamales with Cheese &... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Chez Nancy Lobster 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Creme de Menthe Layer Cake 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Black-Eyed Pea... 3.8/5 (92 Votes)
- Tomato Lentil Soup 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Spicy Black-Eyed Peas 3.9/5 (36 Votes)
- Vegan Pad Thai Spring Rolls 4.2/5 (10 Votes)