Red Wine Beef Ragu
Per Serving: Calories: 670, Fat: 10 g, Protein: 50 g, Carb: 85 g, Fiber: 8 g
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 lb lean beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 12 oz wide noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. In a 5 - 6 quart slow cooker, whisk together crushed tomatoes, red wine, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Add whole tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands. Stir in garlic, carrots, onion and rosemary.
2. Add stew meat and turn to coat. Cook, covered, until beef is cooked through and shreds easily, 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
3. 20 mins before serving, cook pasta. Remove and discard rosemary. Skim any fat that has risen to the top. Using a fork, break meat into smaller pieces, then stir into cooking liquid, fold in parsley. Serve beef ragu over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.