Vegan Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Vegan style sausage stuffed mushrooms are a perfect appetizer, or side dish to a main meal. Use vegan sausage for this dish.
- 4 ounces Gimme Lean® Sausage
- 16 medium fresh button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh lemon wedge, optional
- 1 vegetable cooking spray, olive oil flavored
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Arrange the mushroom caps, top down, on the baking sheet. Coat the mushrooms with cooking spray. Bake until they are softened but still resist in the center when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside. Leave the oven on and leave the baking sheet so it can be reused.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the Gimme Lean® Sausage meat until it is separated and resembles cooked loose sausage, about 4 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it up. Transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl, and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Sauté onion, peppers and garlic until they are soft, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Mix in the cooked sausage, bread crumbs, and parsley. Season the filling to taste with salt and pepper.
Form 1 tablespoon of the filling into a ball. Place it into a mushroom cap, pressing it firmly into the mushroom. It should be generously mounded. Repeat, filling all the mushrooms. Arrange the stuffed mushrooms on the baking sheet.
Bake the stuffed mushrooms until the filling is lightly browned on top, about 12 minutes. Just before serving, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the mushrooms, if desired. Serve hot or warm.
These mushrooms freeze well, wrapped in foil packets. To serve, unwrap and reheat in a 350°F oven until the mushrooms are heated through.
You'll also love
- Veggie Ricotta Pasta 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Zucchini Tomato and Cannelini Bean... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Italian Braised Rabbit 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Scottish Rabbit Curry 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Garlicky Spinach 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Laura Weathers' Pie Crust 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheese Fondue With Roasted... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Easy 5-Ingredient Coca Cola Chicken 4.3/5 (8 Votes)