Shells with Italian Sausage and Ricotta Stuffing
- 1 package (16 ounces) Johnsonville® Mild or Sweet Ground Sausage
- 1 box (12.5 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jars (24 ounces, each) marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until pork is no longer pink; drain.
In a Dutch oven, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Using a pastry brush, coat sides and bottom of a 3-quart baking dish with oil. Pour half of the marinara sauce into baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, 2-1/2 cups of mozzarella, 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, basil, pepper and prepared sausage.
Stuff shells with meat mixture; arrange in baking dish. Pour remaining marinara sauce over shells. Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with
parsley. Serve. © Taste of Home 2014