- 1 yellow onion (large) (chopped fine)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped fine or minced)
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces seasoned breadcrumbs (Progress breadcrumbs)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese (finely grated - extra for serving)
- 2 egg
- 1 small chives (chopped - 1 tablespoon extra for serving, can be substituted with parsley chopped finely)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (can be substituted with sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter and oil until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, chive (or parsley), salt, pepper and cooled onion mixture. Shape mixture into balls, approximately 1 inch in diameter.
Bring broth to a rolling boil. Drop meatless balls into the broth. Wait until balls float to the top, reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 10 minutes until balls are cooked all the way through.
Ladle into a soup tureen or individual bowls, with about 5-6 balls per serving.
Sprinkle with the remaining chive or parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.