Basic Brownies Recipe
- 5 ounces (140 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (125 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray with a nonstick cooking spray) an 8 inch (20 cm) square pan.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a large stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar . Next, whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally, stir in the flour, salt and chocolate chips (if using).
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little batter and a few moist clumps clinging to it. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled. These freeze very well.
Makes 16 brownies.