Waldorf Cobb Salad
This salad is the perfect compliment to your main dish! The combination and variety of flavors work amazingly well together.
- 2 large Gala apples
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 medium avocados
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup watercress leaves, loosely packed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (4-ounces) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 6 thick bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- SPICED PECANS:
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- CIDER-SORGHUM VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sorghum syrup
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 125mins
Adapted from SouthernLiving.com
Cut apples into 1/8-inch matchsticks; toss with 2 tablespoons lime juice. Peel and quarter avocados; toss with 1 tablespoon lime juice.
Toss together romaine lettuce and next 2 ingredients; arrange on a large serving platter. Arrange tomatoes, next 4 ingredients, apples, and avocado over salad greens. Serve with Cider-Sorghum Vinaigrette.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Pour apple juice over pecan halves in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes; drain.
Stir together sugar, apple pie spice, table salt, and, if desired, ground red pepper in a medium bowl; add pecans, tossing to coat. Spread in a single layer in a lightly greased, aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch pan.
Bake 15 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes; separate pecans with a fork.
Cook first 2 ingredients in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until cider is reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat, and cool completely (about 20 minutes).
Transfer cider mixture to a bowl, discarding cinnamon stick. Whisk in vinegar and next 6 ingredients. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.