Chicken And Wheat Berry Salad
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat berries see * Note
- Coarse salt to taste
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar plus
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar plus
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups diced roasted skinless chicken pieces
- 1 1/2 cups thinly-sliced celery
- 1 large tart red apple cored, and cut into 1/2" dice
- 4 cups crisp chilled romaine lettuce thinly sliced, (use inner leaves, halve lengthwise)
* Note: White wheat berries can be found at health food stores.
Spread almonds on baking sheet and toast in 350 degree oven until light golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
Place wheat berries in strainer and rinse with cold water. Put in 2-quart saucepan with 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain well. You should have 2 cups. Set aside.
Place cranberries, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Set aside vinaigrette.
Place chicken, celery and apple in large bowl. Add wheat berries and vinaigrette. Toss until well mixed. Taste; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. (Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Let rest at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.)
Toss lettuce with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon vinegar, salt and pepper; this is scant dressing. Arrange lettuce on platter. Toss chicken salad with all but 2 tablespoons almonds. Taste; adjust seasoning. Mound salad in center, leaving some lettuce exposed. Garnish with remaining almonds. Serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Each serving: 415 calories; 679 mg sodium; 62 mg cholesterol; 22 grams fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 27 grams protein; 5.51 grams fiber.