Cranberry-Wild Rice Bake
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium Onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 ounces mushrooms, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 135mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches with shortening.
2. Place wild rice in wire strainer. Run cold water through rice, lifting rice with fingers to clean thoroughly. Heat rice and water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. cover and simmer 30 minutes; drain.
3. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and mushrooms in butter, stirring occasionally until onion is tender.
4. Mix rice and onion mixture in baking dish. Mix broth, salt and garlic; pour over rice mixture.
5. Cover and bake 1 1/4 hours.Stir in cranberries. Cover and bake 15 - 20 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed.