Chicken and Potato Chowder
This is just like mom's comforting chicken noodle soup, but it's even creamier and loaded with cheesy goodness!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from damndelicious.net
Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots and celery.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
Stir in potatoes.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
Stir in chicken and cheese, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.