Beet Salad- German (Rote Beete Salat)
- 2 bunches beets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (or more according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Adapted from hubpages.com
Prepare the beets by trimming off the greens and the tips.
Boil the beets in salted water until tender, approximately 45 minutes. Set aside to cool, then peel and cut into bite sized pieces.
In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
Add the beets and toss to coat.
Let stand for a few hours. This salad is best served at room temperature.
Refrigerate any remaining salad.