- 1/4 cup seedless raisins
- 6 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 not-too ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds (toasted if you prefer)
- vanilla ice cream
Thirty minutes before you cook, put the raisins in a bowl with the rum
and let them soak until they're plumped up.
Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, then add the
sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
Add the bananas and cook them
until just tender. Sprinkle the spices over the bananas, then pour on
the rum and raisins. Carefully ignite the rum with a long fireplace
match and shake the pan gently until the flame goes out.