Loaded Smashed Sweet Potatoes
A great appetizer that combines the light sweetness of sweet potatoes and traditional loaded potato toppings!
- 2 strips thick bacon
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Fresh chives
Cook bacon until crispy, either in a skillet or baked in the oven. Once the bacon is crispy, let cool and chop into bits for topping. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cut off the ends of the sweet potatoes, then cut them into quarters. Pour olive oil on a baking sheet and rub potatoes on both sides to coat. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
3. Bake potato pieces for 25-30 minutes until they are fork tender. Then let cool briefly until you can handle them.
4. Use a small plate to smash each potato down a bit. Return smashed potatoes to baking sheet.
5. Bake smashed potatoes a second time for 10 minutes to crisp them up a bit.
6. Remove potatoes from oven and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, crispy bacon bits, and fresh chives.