Vegetarian Zucchini Sandwich
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 small zucchini
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices hazelnut-walnut bread (I like to use Country Hearth wheat hazelnut bread)
- 1 cup arugula
- 6 thin tomato slices
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Combine mayonnaise, basil and lemon zest. Set aside.
Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Lightly spray zucchini with nonstick cooking spray. Grill zucchini, a portion at a time, on preheated grill pan over high heat until tender yet slightly crunchy, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side.
To assemble sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on 2 slices bread. Top 1 slice bread with 1/2 cup arugula, 3 tomato slices and 1/4 cup red onion. Lightly season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with 3 slices zucchini. Top with second bread slice. Repeat for second sandwich. Cover remaining mayonnaise and refrigerate for another use.
This recipe yields 2 sandwiches.
Each sandwich with 1 tablespoon basil mayonnaise: 202 calories; 406 mg sodium; 10 mg cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 38 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 3.90 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (398 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll Cake 4.5/5 (269 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (191 Votes)
- Veggie Club Sandwich and Zucchini... 4.5/5 (151 Votes)