Tofu And Nappa Cabbage With Sesame Dressing
- SESAME DRESSING:
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 1 large jalapeño seeded, chopped
- 4 teaspoons sesame paste or tahini
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated or light brown sugar to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 12 ounces soft or silken tofu drained
- 6 cups water
- Salt as needed
- 5 cups thinly-slivered nappa cabbage
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon black and/or white sesame seeds toasted
For the Sesame Dressing: Puree ginger, garlic, jalapeño, sesame paste, dark and light sesame oils, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in small food processor or blender until smooth. Stir in cilantro, basil and mint and pulse or puree briefly.
For the Tofu: Dice tofu into pieces about size of sugar cubes. Bring water to simmer in a deep skillet, add 1 teaspoon salt, then ease tofu into pan. Simmer 2 minutes, then remove. Let cool on towel.
Toss cabbage with half Sesame Dressing, then arrange on platter or on 4 individual plates. Arrange tofu and cucumber on top of cabbage and spoon remaining dressing over them. Garnish with sesame seeds. Toss just before serving.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Each serving: 260 calories; 353 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 18 grams fat; 13 grams carbohydrates; 17 grams protein; 1.69 grams fiber.