Super Easy 5-Ingredient Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
I like to use pearl barley because it cooks faster than pot barley, but it can be substituted with another grain, bean, legume or whatever you have on hand. If you don't have kale, substitute spinach, Swiss chard or any other leafy green vegetable you like.
- 2 cups vegetable broth or reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger or garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 sweet potato (about 3/4 pounds/340 g), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) dice
- 4 cups stemmed kale, chopped
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
In pot, bring broth, 2 cups water and ginger to boil.
Add barley and return to boil.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer until barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high and add sweet potato; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes.
Stir in kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is tender. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
You'll also love
- Veal Meatballs in Red Wine Sauce 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- SPANISH RICE WITH CHORIZO 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Black Bean Salad 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Artichoke Egg Casserole 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Broccoli and Cheddar Casserole... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Spinach Pie 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Orange Infused Walnut Kale Salad 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Potatoes 4.5/5 (11 Votes)