(makes 4 cups of sauce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- 1 tablespoon basil (chopped, optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add celery, carrots, salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are soft (about 10 minutes).
5. Add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, wine, balsamic vinegar and parmigiano reggiano rind and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens (about 30-60 minutes).
6. Stir in the basil and parsley and turn off the heat.