Sausage Potato and Spinach Soup
A hearty, comforting soup that's easy and simple to make, loaded with tons of fiber and flavor! 329.5 calories per serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from damndelicious.net
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Adapted from The Candid Appetite
Calories 329.5Calories from Fat 183.6, Total Fat 20.4g31%, Saturated Fat 8.0g40%
Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 45.1mg15%, Sodium 765.6mg32%, Total Carbohydrate 20.5g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.1g8%, Sugars 2.7g, Protein 17.3g35%
I would classify this soup as an “occasional” food. Is it best to eat sausage and whipping cream on a daily basis? For most people: probably not. But because this is in soup form, you will be satisfied eating less sausage than if you were served it on a plate.
To amp up the health of this soup, substitute evaporated milk or fat free half and half for the whipping cream.
Nutritional information provided by Jessica Penner, RD at Smart Nutrition.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Chiffon Pumpkin Pie with Almond... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Bacon Chocolate Scones 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Baked Ziti 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Turkey Breast Stuffed with Italian... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Chicken Drumsticks... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Cream cheese mashed potatoes 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Chicken & Bacon Pasta with Spinach... 4.3/5 (38 Votes)