- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce with mushrooms
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 3 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups uncooked packaged precooked rice
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 4 ounces sharp process American cheese, shredded (1 cup)
In skillet brown meat with onion; drain off fat. Add tomato sauce, catsup, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt, water, and pepper; bring to boiling, stirring often. Cook rice and prepare peas following package directions. On individual serving plates layer rice, peas, meat mixture, then cheese.
Makes 6 servings.